Link Building With Content Ideas

question

Today’s edition of Resource Shelf  listed a report from PEW on how Americans were using the Internet to cope with the recession.  This bit caught my eye and got the link brain going:

Some 69% of all Americans have used the internet to cope with the recession as they hunt for bargains, jobs, ways to upgrade their skills, better investment strategies, housing options, and government benefits. That amounts to 88% of internet users.

First off, the numbers the article references are huge, 88% of American users are turning to the Internet to find certain types of information.  If that doesn’t scream “CONTENT and LINKS” to the enterprising webmaster I don’t know what does.

For newbies with no clue what I’m talking about, let me explain.

There are a bunch of Americans using the Internet to find solutions to problems.  If you have content that’s good and will help them, they may link to it and/or pass it along to others they know will benefit.  The excerpt above is pretty specific in what they’re looking for so your job is now a little easier in trying to figure out what to write.  To refresh your memory the specifics the article showcased were:

Is there a way you can write content on any of these subjects as it relates to what you offer?  I bet there is.  If people are actively looking for it, why not write about it  instead of another stupid top ten list ?

Here are a handful of  promotion ideas to get the link ball rolling:

1.  Email your mother, brother,  sister and your current and past customers with a link to the article.  Encourage linking and ask they pass it on to others who may benefit.  (these people already like you so they’re prone to respond positively.  This is why it pays to be nice to siblings ;)

2.  Write a press release announcing the new article, be specific in describing what problem/issue your article will discuss and provide solutions for.

3.  Be sure to include a quote/link to the PEW report as a credibility builder in the release.

4.  Be sure to include a quote/link to the PEW report in your article as well.

5.  Take a shorter version of the article and pimp it to a handful of bloggers in your niche.

6.  Include social media buttons like “share this” under the article on your site.  Encourage your mother, brother, sister and past/current customers to socialize the material.

7.  Tweet the link, encourage RT’s (RT = retweets.  Here’s a how-to RT article)

There’s more you can do but this should get you started.  With 88% of Americans searching for a specific type of information be the one they link to for answers.  :)

Added:

Please read the comments with this post, someone brought up an article written on Search Engine Watch yesterday and I’ve responded since I think the article was a piece of crap.   Thanks ~  debra.

<div id=”scricode37963555″></div>

Comments

1. Pat Shaughnessy says

Debra,
    My first time here–great stuff. I look forward to reading your thoughts at AArons seobook Forum.

I read the “Re-Thinking Link Building” article and it reminds me of people who say “cold calling” in sales is a waste of time.

Anything is a waste of time if you do it wrong.

First, no professional link builder (or sales person) should be calling or contacting any high-value prospect “cold”.

High quality Link acquisition requires that you build a relationship and nurture it.

Quality relationships take research and relevant communication. To get high quality links you cant email blast or use other low touch techniques including automated $7 a link overseas labor.

-thanks

2. Bob says

Adding a link on your e-mail signature other than to your home page draws a surprising number of visitors. Good Sphinn.

3. Frank Marcel says

Very clever! This may be one of those Michael Martinez’ “say the obvious as nobody said it yet!”

Congratulations, great idea! Thanks for sharing! =)

4. dancesportsuperbowl says

You are absolutely right.. I agree with you. Good ( and unique ) articles make our blog will be visited by many people. Indirectly, it provide us the best link and also traffic.

5. Noah says

I’d add some article syndication to point number 5 there. Take that same shortened article and submit it to your top 5 or 10 favorite article syndication sites for even more exposure.

I read the same article yesterday and have to totally disagree with the fact that most link builders simply outsource and despise their job. This isn’t true at all.

In fact, I had a 17-yr old high school student shadow me this week who thought that building links was “cool.”

It amazing how quickly one can forget how “cool” their job can be.

• Debra Mastaler says

Jonathan – I agree. Furthermore…

Point one: I’ve had interns in the past, I don’t bring them into the firm to be thought leaders or run full campaigns. They’re interns. They do intern type things and get a baseline of knowledge about the link building business. I don’t know of a single link building company I associate with that uses interns to run their campaigns, that would be professional suicide.

Point two: As for the survey he cites, Sage made an assumption the people responding were link builders. How silly. We don’t know who responded and what type of businesses they had or campaigns they were running. Barry’s survey’s aren’t scientific or even close to being professionally crafted, they’re just Barry asking simple questions and getting… simple results. To use them to make a point about an industry is laughable.

Point three: His staff feels like they’ve been stuck with something when assigned link work… I think that’s pretty sad for someone who writes publicly about link building on one of the biggest SEO/SEM blogs in the industry.

Point four: We link builders should “start” using public relations in our link work? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? “START” using? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I go on and say more but I promised myself I wouldn’t get riled up today over that article. :)

7. Debra Mastaler says

I saw the article yesterday and think it is one of the worst articles on link builders and link building I’ve read in a long time.

8. Ryan says

Nice tips. Thank u.

However, you also might want to go through this article on Re-Thinking Link Building.

Here is the link -
    webguild.org/2009/07/re-thinking-link-building.php?p=p2

9. Kaila S | Cliquekaila says

Great tips. Content truly is king, and publicizing your well written content will provide you with the best links and traffic to your site.